CERENA’s research have already attained a high recognition from their counterparts at international level, but it will tackle a higher level of internationalization. Several aspects are considered by CERENA as priorities in order to participate at an international level and to bring a more intense international recognition as a research-led institution:
- To focus research undertaken within CERENA in selected fields to ensure that it addresses global societal challenges;
- To involve CERENA researchers in prestigious international research projects, strategic international cooperation in research and innovation partnerships, attracting more international research funding. We will seek for funding opportunities under societal challenges actions, through participation in ERA-NETs and in KICInnoEnergy Projects (where Técnico/ULisboa is the only participating Portuguese University). Moreover, CERENA is part of a national consortium which is applying together with other European partners for the next call for KIC-Raw Materials launched by EIT.
- To participate in Bilateral Cooperation actions such as those promoted by GRICES-FCT. Presently, CERENA researchers are already developing a network (Técnico/ULisboa, NASA – Jet Propulsion Laboratory and John Craig Venture Institute), through FCT (Portugal) and NSF (USA) funds, focused on understanding the potential origin of life on Mars and other planets.
- To deliver more internationally co-authored scientific publications in high-impact international journals and book series.Through the participation of the most distinguished CERENA researchers, in the editorial board of peer reviewed journals and in the scientific committee of international scientific conferences and congresses.
- To promote more International Joint Industry Projects, such as those already established with Petrobras, Partex Oil and Gas, PI-Abu-Dhabi, Ferrangol, Anglo Ashanti Mines, Bauxite Angola, Tecnnvest-COWI, Ferroatlantica, Novecia, Martifer, Fisipe, Adi, Enerfuel, CUF QI. .
- To organize and host several international seminars and congresses such as those already scheduled:6th International Conference on Medical Geology, to be held in 2015, as an Organization of Aveiro University and Instituto Superior Técnico and the 15th International Symposium on Water-Rock Interaction (WRI-15).
- To make its research results (including, software) available on the web.
- To encourage and facilitate researchers mobility and hosting Post-Docs and senior researchers
- To promote the participation of CERENA into international infrastructures networks. In fact CERENA is already a research unit of the Collaboratory for Geosciences (C4G), i.e., a distributed research infrastructure that promotes the networking of researchers and the sharing of equipment, data, collections and tools in Solid Earth Sciences (SES). C4G intends to join its European counterparts in the ESFRI project European Plate Observing System (EPOS).